Position: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager
Department: Institutional Learning and Accountability Department
Status: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Institutional Learning and Accountability
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Kepler is a nonprofit university program designed to deliver the skills that emerging economies need. Kepler combines the best of online learning and an American competency-based degree program with in-person seminars and intensive
The MEL Manager will lead all monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities. In this capacity, he/she will develop and refine the existing M&E systems, Kepler Theory of Change, data collection, management, and reporting. The MEL Manager will also be responsible for coordinating and managing all tasks related to monitoring, evaluation, learning, and ensure the overall data quality and reliability.
M&E Data Flow Management
Collaborate with the IT Team and Data Analyst to oversee all data collection and data management tasks across Kepler campuses (Kiziba/Kigali).
- Oversee the implementation of an efficient and effective process for quantitative and qualitative data collection throughout the program cycle – from recruitment to graduation and beyond – using mixed-methods data collection approached and appropriate software.
- Collaborate with Data Analyst and IT team to design and streamline data collection and data management mechanisms.
Oversee data entry into database and conduct data quality assessments on a periodic basis to ensure data quality.
- Ensure the continuous monitoring of program progress in close collaboration with relevant departments and partners.
M&E System Development
- Periodically review and propose updates to key indicators and targets in line with the organization's theory of change and competency-based education framework as is necessary considering program changes, strategic plans, and available research
Develop and use harmonized data collection tools and data analysis methods for performance indicators at all levels across Kepler campuses (Kiziba/Kigali); periodically update based on program changes
- Establish systems and protocols to gather, report and analyze performance data for impact and sustainability of Kepler campuses.
- Develop grant and project-specific tools and processes to track outputs and outcomes, including tools such as attendance registers, pre/post surveys and other assessments, as needed
- Review and update Kepler’s M&E system to incorporate performance indicators, tools and processes to track program implementation, results and impact.
Assessment and Technical Assistance
- Develop and implement alumni tracking systems and processes in partnership with the Careers Department and Student Lending partners, contributing to communications plans to ensure alumni are not overburdened with communications, surveys, focus group discussions, interviews and other engagments
- Conduct rigorous internal process and outcome evaluations to evaluate how the program is being delivered and assess its overall impact in the region
- Lead contracting and coordination of work with external research partners on impact evaluations and other external studies, ensuring the studies are relevant and necessary to program learning, growth and sustainability
- Ensure compliance with grant and donor monitoring and evaluation requirements and contribute to development of program descriptions/theory and M&E sections on funding proposal
- Contribute to capacity building, knowledge building and institutional learning by identifying and disseminating best practices, lessons learned and knowledge.
- Work with the Director of Institutional Accountability and Learning, to ensure M&E data and results contribute to institutional learning and improved programming, maximizing impact and sustainability.
- Reporting and Communication
- Communicate project progress and key findings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Data Analyst and assist with data analysis and visualization tasks to show Kepler impact through graphs, charts, and other visuals.
- Prepare technical reports, monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports and contribute to other project reports such as annual work plans, and case studies as required.
- Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Must possess a Master’s degree in relevant field required such as Social Science, Education Policy, Project Management, or Public Administration.
- At least 5 years’ experience designing and coordinating monitoring and evaluation for NGOs or International Organizations. Background in higher education sector preferred.
- Demonstrate substantial knowledge and experience of MEL approaches within the International Development sector.
- Proven experience in data analysis, interpretation, and knowledge management implementation approaches.
- Significant professional experience collecting, managing, and analyzing data as well producing high quality evidence-based strategies, reports and communication documents.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analysis skills and knowledge of statistical software, including: Microsoft Excel, SPSS, and/or Stata.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal skills, written communication skills and networking skills.
- Must have advance level proficiency in English.